First, my newest cooking attempt: hummus! I have no decent excuse why it’s taken me years to get around to making this myself — well, OK, I do actually: who the heck keeps tahini on hand all the time?!
Anyway, it’s so easy and the texture of the homemade is so much better than store bought: 2 cans chickpeas, about half a can of water, a garlic clove, 2 T. tahini, drizzle of olive oil, lemon juice and salt to taste – whir up in the food processor. Dash or two of paprika when serving.
Who has tahini on hand all the time? Me!
Second: day 17.5 marked the half-way point of our 5 week commitment! Wow. While it is true that I have a 3 page listof things I still want to accomplish in the time that’s left, I’m pretty proud of all that we’ve done! (Even the failures have been, if nothing else, entertaining — kale chips*, I’m looking at you!) My big goal ASAP is to sit down and assess how this way of eating is affecting our grocery budget. Look for a report later this week.
Lastly: from the Fort Wayne Farmer’s Market — their schedule and locations for the summer. Find the one that works best for you!
- Parkview Regional Medical Center (PRMC)
- Tuesday, May 28th – Aug. 27th 2 – 6pm
- One Summit Square
- Wednesday, May 29th – Sept. 25th 10am – 2pm
- New Haven, Schnelker Park
- Wednesday, June 19th – Oct. 16th 4 – 7pm
- Georgetown Square
- Thursday, June 13th – Sept. 12th 4 – 7pm
- Jefferson Pointe
- Friday, June 7th – Sept. 6th 4 – 7pm
- Ft. Wayne’s Farmers Market
- Saturday, June 1st – Sept. 14th 9am – 1pm
- Corner of Barr and Wayne
- Ft. Wayne’s Farmers Winter Market
- Oct 5th – May 17th 9am – 1pm
- Lincoln Financial Event Center (at the Tincaps Field)
* hmmm — soggy, bitter…. so sad…. advice?